GTF London: Conversation on Gender Equality in MENA
- Internationally Acclaimed Iranian Filmmaker, Actress, Artist and Writer, Mania Akbari
- Egyptian Journalist, Shahira Amin, The Former Deputy Head of Egyptian State-owne Nile TV and one of its senior anchors.
- Souad Talsi MBE, Founder of Al-Hasaniya Moroccan Women's Centre in the UK
- Moderated by TV Presenter & Business woman, Saira Khan
The dialogue brought together policy makers from the region in conversation with civil society actors to discuss crucial gender equality priorities in the MENA region. The conversation highlighted priorities for implementation and a call for action to accelerate implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action in the region. The event was structured like a moderated conversation among the panellists and also included audience engagement and participation.
Key discussion points included:
1) To achieve gender equality in our lifetime what needs to change in the Arab region? What does this mean in terms of a work plan for the Arab region?
2) What are the political actions that need to be taken by political leaders to accelerate the implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action?
3) How can civil society work together to make that happen and what support do they need from the global community to enable that vision to be fulfilled.