The international organization Global Thinkers Forum held its annual Awards ceremony in Athens Greece, under the auspices of the Municipality of Athens; it was a ceremony reminiscent of the Academy Awards in elegance and glamour. The event was held with the collaboration of the UN Alliance of Civilizations, while Mrs. Marianna V. Vardinoyannis, UNESCO Good Will Ambassador opened the evening with her welcome remarks.
Masters of Ceremony were the Founder & CEO of Global Thinkers Forum, Mrs. Elizabeth Filippouli, and Senior Anchor Al Jazeera English, Stephen Cole.
Mr. Yiorgos Kaminis, the Mayor of Athens; H.E. Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, High Representative for the UN Alliance of Civilizations; Ismail Abou Zeid, UN Ambassador; businessmen, investors, Ambassadors and other dignitaries attended the event. It was a very moving moment when Sir David Frost’s son, George Frost went on stage and talked about his late father as the great professional and the wonderful father he was. The Gala concluded with a live concert which was conducted by composer Dirk Brossé.Soprano Vassia Zacharopoulou performed the songcycle ‘Haiku Cycle 1’ and violonist Efi Christodoulouand pianist Petros Bouras performed the violinconcerto ‘Black, White & In Between’.
Discussions on matters concerning Leadership, Collaboration, and Cultural Understanding in a rapidly changing world, as well as entrepreneurship and the future of Greek businesses, were held within the framework of the Forum, which was held in Athens for the first time.
GTF CEO & Founder, Mrs. Elizabeth Filippouli, states: “It was a very special evening that saluted excellence, progress and leadership in the faces of some absolutely marvelous pioneers, trailblazers, creators, thought leaders. The GTF vision and mission is to promote creativity, originality, forward thinking, and create high level forums that promote Excellence. Our Honourees become GTF Ambassadors and messengers of excellence!”
“It is an honor and a great opportunity for the city of Athens to have organized an international meeting of thought leaders and world acclaimed experts from the realms of society, intellect, business, the Arts. The open and productive conversation was and will be the cornerstone of every democratic society, which must aim for productive collaborations and an extended relationship with the Civil Society, in order to follow a road of development”, stated the mayor of Athens, Mr. Giorgos Kaminis.
Global Thinkers Forum 2013 Awards of Excellence were presented to:
1. Excellence in Leadership (H.E. Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, High Representative for the UN Alliance of Civilizations)
2. Excellence in Promoting Peace & Collaboration (His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew)
3. Excellence in Philanthropy (Hani Masri, President Tomorrow’s Youth Organization)
4. Excellence in Global Thinking (Nouriel Roubini, Economist)
5. Excellence in Media (Sir David Frost, 1939-2013)
6. Excellence in Humanitarian Work (Professionals for Humanity & Gbemouotor Kama)
7. Excellence in Innovation (Nikos Floros, Artist)
8. Excellence in Positive Change (Dr Ibrahim Abouleish, Founder SEKEM)
9. Excellence in Gender Equality (Shahira Amin, Journalist)
10. Excellence in Cultural Understanding (Professor Tu Weiming, Peking University)
11.Excellence in Cultural Creativity (Sir Dirk Brosse & Ludwig Wicki, Conductors)
12. Excellence in Entrepreneurship (Markos Veremis, CEO Upstream)
13. Excellence in Pioneering (Dr Maisah Sobaihi, Academic/Director/Writer/Performer)